After just announcing our new PhD research fellowship position, we’ve also got a Post doctoral fellow/researcher position currently open, see below!
About the position
This is a full-time three-year postdoctoral fellow/researcher position here at the Haapaniemi Group, based at NCMM, University of Oslo & Oslo University Hospital.
We welcome applications both from recent PhD graduates (postdoctoral fellow position) and more experienced scientists (researcher position).
The successful candidate will join a highly integrated and motivated team with diverse skills and expertise across molecular biology and immunology.
Our team works towards building a gene editing platform that can be used to correct patient-specific mutations in ex vivo cell therapies for genetic immune and other rare childhood diseases.
We use high-throughput biology techniques to optimise, develop and understand the CRISPR-Cas9 system that forms the base of the platform, and develop and implement methods to evaluate its safety in a clinical setting. We will use the gene editing technologies for the benefit of the patients in the Nordic hospitals.
NCMM was established in 2008 and is the Norwegian node in the Nordic EMBL Partnership for Molecular Medicine. NCMM is a joint venture between the University of Oslo, Health Region South-East and the Research Council of Norway, and has altogether 11 research groups.
The overall objective of NCMM is to conduct cutting edge research in molecular medicine and biotechnology as well as facilitate translation of discoveries in basic medical research into clinical practice.
Oslo University Hospital is a highly specialized hospital in charge of extensive regional and local hospital assignments. As Scandinavia’s largest hospital, we carry out more than 1.2 million patient treatments each year.
The hospital has a nationwide responsibility for a number of national and multi-regional assignments, and has several national centers of competence.
Oslo University Hospital is responsible for approximately 50 percent of all medical and health care research conducted at Norwegian hospitals, and is a significant role player within the education of a large variety of health care personnel.
The work tasks will be tailored based on the candidate’s interests, and will concentrate on optimising and scaling up protocols for efficient mutation correction in human T cells and hematopoietic stem cells.
Examples of work tasks include:
- Optimise T cell and stem cell ex vivo editing & culturing conditions
- Transplant edited cells to humanised mice
- Design and optimise high-throughput biology experiments in robotics platforms
- Set up custom Next Generation Sequencing libraries and technologies
- Scale up protocols to pre-GMP and GMP scale
Required qualifications & skills
- PhD, BA or MA (expected PhD graduation date within 6 months of application closing date)
- At least one published first-author paper
- Fluent oral and written English communication skills
- Experience with any of the following techniques: multi-color flow cytometry, Next Generation Sequencing library preparation, immune cell culture and transfection, CRISPR editing in primary cells, or experience with human-mouse xenotransplants
- Experience in genetic analyses
- Python, Perl, R or other relevant programming language skills
Required personal skills
- Ability to communicate and work in shared multi disciplinary projects
- Willingness to supervise students
- Enthusiastic and hard-working
What we offer
An exciting, translational project where your strong basic science background can directly benefit our sickest patients. Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment and rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities.
How to apply?
Your application must include:
- Cover letter (statement of motivation, summarizing scientific work and research interest)
- CV (summarizing education, positions, pedagogical or administrative experience and other qualifying activity)
- List of publications
- Copies of educational certificates (academic transcripts only)
- List of 3 reference persons (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and phone number)